Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Secondary BC dental concerns

R.T. Chair
R.T. Chair Member Posts: 17
edited February 2015 in Metastatic breast cancer
Hi everyone,
I have just been diagnosed with secondary BC, as if that's not enough to get my head around, doctors are banging on about my teeth!!
Can someone explain why getting my teeth checked is so important and what should I say or ask my dentist to do?
Hope someone can help......thanks

Comments

• Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    edited March 2015

About teeth - I was told to have all dental checks and work done prior to having chemo for early BC.  It had to do with the possibility of infection and the strength of chemotherapy drugs.  It is probably the same thing.  Fortunately I had no problems due to regular checkups, but I had another anyway.  Anything that helps!  I wish you all the best with your treatment - are you having a different chemo?  Stay in touch.  Michelle x

• R.T. Chair
    edited March 2015
    Hi Michelle,
    When I was first diagnosed with early BC 5 years ago, it was mentioned as you say, but now that it's secondary BC and moved to my bones, they are stressing the teeth more intensely, something to do with possibly extractions and different drugs to maintain bone strength to minimize chance of fracture. I am unsure what to tell my dentist, thanks for your response. xx
  • Pink66
    Pink66 Dragonfly Posts: 366
    edited March 2015

Hi RT Chair...

With teeth they are concerned about the slow healing properties during chemo and especially if you are placed onto Denosumab or a Bisphosphonate as they slow the healing capabilities of the bones (to slow down the bone mets) and it can cause a few issues.. such as a socket that will not heal or takes much longer than normal after extraction

I have indeed had a tooth extracted since being diagnosed (zero choice) but could only find a Periodontist to do it..  excellent job..  but ouch!!  with the cost..  (but he did seal up the socket to protect it) Things such as filings,  root canals and crowns can still be undertaken as the jaw bone is not being altered during these procedures. But even my endodontist prefers to work on me when i am on a "chemo holiday" !!

if you are off to the dentist, tell him your situation and also any drugs you are currently on and about to be on..  (not all dentists have the knowledge of oncology drugs and may send you up the line) but for normal dental stuff you should be just fine..

hope that helps

Cheer
    s, Sharon (aka Pink66)

• R.T. Chair
    edited March 2015
    That's great info Sharon thanks! The drugs you mentioned are exactly what I'll be having, now I know what to tell my dentist and understand that she may have to send me else where. She has been concerned for awhile about a wisdom tooth so best get that sorted ASAP!
    Thanks again, Sue (RT Chair)
  • Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Can I just add to this discussion? I have denosumab injections for osteoporosis.It is important to get your teeth checked out prior to starting because there is a risk of necrosis of the jaw if you need any invasive dental work done while you are having these injections .Very important.All the best.Robyn
  • R.T. Chair
    edited March 2015
    Thanks Robyn, I feel much more confident about discussing this with my dentist now and have made a list with all the critical info on it so I don't forget. I am slowly getting my head around this issue thanks to the info provided by kind people like you and this site.
    Thank you for your reply.
    Sue