Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Hormonal Drugs for liver mets

Tilly14
Tilly14 Member Posts: 19
edited September 2016 in Metastatic breast cancer

Hi,

Is anyone on hormonal drugs for secondary cancer with liver mets , if so what are the drugs and how long can they work to control the tumours? I know everyone is different, just wondering of any success stories on the hormonal drugs.

Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• Pamelamary
    Pamelamary Member Posts: 240
    edited March 2015

Hi Tilly,

Thought I would chime in as you haven't had much feedback, maybe because it's holidays.  I think most of us liver metsters have chemo initially, to try and shrink the mets, then ongoing treatment depends on your pathology results. I have been stable for about 2 years, with Tamoxifen because I am hormone positive and herceptin because i am also Her2+.

We are all different and respond differently to different treatments, so it is impossible to say how long any particular treatment will work. Oncology sometimes seems a bit like voodoo; we all just cross fingers and hope!

Best wishes..... Pam

• pinklady1953
    pinklady1953 Member Posts: 19
    edited March 2015
    Hi Tilly,
    I am ignorant too this new drug I am taking for extensive liver and bone mets. But will be very interested to know of any information as well. All the very best Marilyn
  • pinklady1953
    edited March 2015
    Hi Tilly,
    I am ignorant too this new drug I am taking for extensive liver and bone mets. But will be very interested to know of any information as well. All the very best Marilyn
  • Tilly14
    edited March 2015
    Thanks I am hoping for the same although I was on tamoxifen for 5 years and they stopped that once they diagnosed the liver I am having abraxane then hopefully there is another drug they can give me to keep it all under control
  • pinklady1953
    edited March 2015
    Hi Tilly
    Lovely to hear so soon. I had finished nine months of chemo and then put straight on Affinitor and Extremestane. I have no idea how long I will need to take these. I wish you well. Marilyn
  • pinklady1953
    edited March 2015
    Hi Tilly
    Lovely to hear so soon. I had finished nine months of chemo and then put straight on Affinitor and Extremestane. I have no idea how long I will need to take these. I wish you well. Marilyn
  • Tilly14
    edited March 2015
    Hi
    Are they both hormonal drugs ?
    It's strange now it's likeour life's are not our own anymore the doctors and drugs make all the decisions ... But it's better then the alternative i guess ... It all just screws with your mind sometimes
  • pinklady1953
    edited March 2015
    Extremestane is hormonal and Affinitor is a new drug to breast cancer on the PBS. They both compliment each other eg Extremestane works better with Affinitor And yes I feel I have no say in what I take. Trying to get information from my doctors is like getting blood out of a stone. I know we are all individuals and it may be hard for them but sometimes it does mess with your head. Time heals a little and talking to a Distric nurse available helps me too.