New diagnosis

Ciaobella57
Ciaobella57 Member Posts: 26
edited October 2016 in Newly diagnosed
Hi everyone I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I was diagnosed just before xmas .

Everything seems Very confusing as my diagnosis keeps changing! initially I started off with DCIS ( apparently the lucky cancer or so I was told) non invasive which has now progressed to include an invasive tumour.

I have just had my second wide incision on Tuesday trying to get clear margins.

Also there is now talk of chemo as my cancer is hormone negative. I have to wait till the 19th for my results. I think the waiting is one of the hardest aspects- of all of this!

There is so much to learn its a bit overwhelming . I hope to maintain some level of fitness throughout my treatment if for no other reason than it makes me feel happier :)
Tagged:

Comments

• Cook65
    Cook65 Member Posts: 733
    edited March 2015
    Hi there
    Welcome to "the club". Sorry that you have become a member though. I had the same thing happen. It felt like every time I saw the doctor, things had changed again. I wonder if that is just the nature if the beast at first. And yes, the waiting is dreadful. It's good to plan ahead but be prepared that you will have to take things a day at a time particularly if you are having chemo. You will get lots of support and helpful tips on this site. Try to keep busy and good luck for the 19th. Hang in there.
    Karen xox
  • Ciaobella57
    edited March 2015
    Thanks Karen . I am a bit of a control freak ( my husband would raise his eyes at the word "bit") so think I am going to have to try and let that go for a while because it feels like nothing is in my control at this stage. So glad I have connected with this site xx
  • Cook65
    edited March 2015
    Haha me too! A huge control freak in fact. The fact is the only thing we have control over is how we react and even then there are times that we won't have control over that either. I've often wondered if that is what I have had to learn with this experience; to let go, patience, to put me first instead of everyone else and to ask for help. This is a great site. There is always someone who understands what you're going through. Hang in there and take care.
    Karen xox
  • Polly Rose
    Polly Rose Member Posts: 67
    edited March 2015
    Couldn't agree more ladies. The loss of control is a real challenge. I think like most women we are used to be the ones that make everything happen when we need it at home and with our families. Everyone relies on us being in control and suddenly we find ourselves in a position where we have to rely on others and hand over control to people we barely know.
    It's difficult but we need to remember that we can choose to hand over control to our medical team who are experts and know what they're doing. If I start to feel like a bystander with no input, I ask more questions and make sure I'm at least in control of keeping up to date. I then get copies of all my info and results and keep them in a folder which I can then take with me to appointments if needed or just revisit if I need clarification.
    Good luck with your treatment. I hope you get a clearer picture of your situation and treatment soon.
  • Ciaobella57
    edited March 2015
    Karen and Polly great comments and suggestions thank you . I am so glad I found this group ! I never asked for copies of my results last week so will definitely do so on the 19th.
    Yes I agree we are used to bring in control. And I think it's frightening for our families too so I find I am constantly reassuring everyone .

I read this and it's becoming my new mantra lol

It is what it is
    It was what it was
    It will be what it will be
    It will take as long as it takes

I did feel by being accepting of my situation I was almost complacent . However I can still be patient while still planning to kick bc butt.
    Thanks again for your words of encouragement . If nothing else I have met such lovely kind people since my diagnosis . Deb xx
  • Ciaobella57
    edited March 2015
    Karen and Polly great comments and suggestions thank you . I am so glad I found this group ! I never asked for copies of my results last week so will definitely do so on the 19th.
    Yes I agree we are used to bring in control. And I think it's frightening for our families too so I find I am constantly reassuring everyone .

I read this and it's becoming my new mantra lol

It is what it is
    It was what it was
    It will be what it will be
    It will take as long as it takes

I did feel by being accepting of my situation I was almost complacent . However I can still be patient while still planning to kick bc butt.
    Thanks again for your words of encouragement . If nothing else I have met such lovely kind people since my diagnosis . Deb xx
  • Sarah54
    Sarah54 Member Posts: 164
    edited March 2015

I did breat cancer last year, and now doing the waiting game again. I am still know better  at the waiting but as a control freak too ,I have learnt patience. You can message anytime and good luck. Waiting for my next MRI and results will tell me which way my next treatment plan will go. I had a very bad breast cancer.

Cyber hug

Sarah54 (write everything down)

• Sarah54
    Sarah54 Member Posts: 164
    edited March 2015

I did breat cancer last year, and now doing the waiting game again. I am still know better  at the waiting but as a control freak too ,I have learnt patience. You can message anytime and good luck. Waiting for my next MRI and results will tell me which way my next treatment plan will go. I had a very bad breast cancer.

Cyber hug

Sarah54 (write everything down)

• Ciaobella57
    edited March 2015
    A big cyber hug back to you Sarah will be thinking of you xx
  • Ciaobella57
    edited March 2015
  • Ciaobella57
    edited March 2015
  • Barb.trev
    Barb.trev Member Posts: 11
    edited March 2015
    Hi ladies,

Just like you I was diagnosed just before Xmas, mastectomy and axillry clearance early December and start chemo next Wednesday. Just like you the waiting is the worst but keep positive and surround yourself with happy people.

Not sure what the next few months hold for me with chemo and radiation but will be very happy when I am on ther other side.

Good luck with your journey and blog anytime as I have found this site and blog very very helpful

Xxx
  • Cook65
    edited March 2015
    I got really cranky with my family as they weren't as supportive as I would have liked and then I realised that they didn't know what to do. They were so used to me taking control and organising or doing that they really floundered when I could no longer do that. Bc affects so much in our lives. It's a learning curve in so many ways and not just for us
  • Barb.trev
    Barb.trev Member Posts: 11
    edited March 2015
    Same to you too and won't that be exciting x
  • Blanche
    Blanche Member Posts: 8
    edited March 2015

Hi Ladies it is such a relief to see the posts of others walking the same path. I am newly diagnosed and go for a sentinal node biopsy and partial next Thursday.

To say I am terrified would be an understatement, the first bit sounds daunting and havent found anyoney who has had the procedure as it really sounds pretty grim. 

If anyone out there has had this procedure I would love to hear from them. The partial is another matter, worried about how it will effect my left arm as I am left handed.