Where can I get support?

Options
mj
mj Member Posts: 2

My wife Michelle has not been diagnosed. She is very reluctant to take treatment.  If it is cancer, it is quite advanced, she can feel it growing and her pain becomes more consistent.  

We are private people and have few friends to rely on. I think the time fast approaches where we will need help.

Can someone point me in the right direction soon please....I don't know what to do!

Thank you
Lewis

Tagged:

Comments

• tantick
    tantick Member Posts: 12
    edited March 2015
    Options

so sorry to hear this...please make an appointment for you and your wife to see your GP...there is so much support available on this site, many have been exactly where you are, and can give you support and advice.

Treatments have come a long way and breast cancer although a massive shock, is treatable.

sending love

Tania

• tantick
    tantick Member Posts: 12
    edited March 2015
    Options

so sorry to hear this...please make an appointment for you and your wife to see your GP...there is so much support available on this site, many have been exactly where you are, and can give you support and advice.

Treatments have come a long way and breast cancer although a massive shock, is treatable.

sending love

Tania

• Janet A
    Janet A Member Posts: 281
    edited March 2015
    Options

What a wonderful partner you are. I can only relate to my own experience. I wanted to know what the lump was, yes it was scary but i always knew i was doing the right thing, since then i have found out that i will be fine.....there are so many types of lumps, who's to presume the worst!

I suggest going to the doctor to have it checked out or call the mcgrath foundation and speak to someone about your situation.  Putting fears aside must be far better than living in the space you are in currently. 

Keep in touch with us its a wealth of knowledge right here! 

Cheers and good luck, Janet

• Janet A
    Janet A Member Posts: 281
    edited March 2015
    Options

What a wonderful partner you are. I can only relate to my own experience. I wanted to know what the lump was, yes it was scary but i always knew i was doing the right thing, since then i have found out that i will be fine.....there are so many types of lumps, who's to presume the worst!

I suggest going to the doctor to have it checked out or call the mcgrath foundation and speak to someone about your situation.  Putting fears aside must be far better than living in the space you are in currently. 

Keep in touch with us its a wealth of knowledge right here! 

Cheers and good luck, Janet

• Daina_BCNA
    Daina_BCNA Member Posts: 796
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Lewis,

It sounds like both you and your wife are having a tough time of it, especially if Michelle is in pain :-(  However, you are taking the steps to reach out and ask for help, so I think that is the first point. 

In addition to Tania, Karen and Janet's suggestions to take Michelle to her GP - can I also suggest that you give Cancer Council a call on 13 11 20 (it's free and confidential) and there telephone information and support line is supported by specially trained nurses who can give you tips on how to move forward and offer emotional or practical support for you both.

I hope this give you some ideas of how to get support for both you and Michelle.

Best wishes, Daina

• Daina_BCNA
    Daina_BCNA Member Posts: 796
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Lewis,

It sounds like both you and your wife are having a tough time of it, especially if Michelle is in pain :-(  However, you are taking the steps to reach out and ask for help, so I think that is the first point. 

In addition to Tania, Karen and Janet's suggestions to take Michelle to her GP - can I also suggest that you give Cancer Council a call on 13 11 20 (it's free and confidential) and there telephone information and support line is supported by specially trained nurses who can give you tips on how to move forward and offer emotional or practical support for you both.

I hope this give you some ideas of how to get support for both you and Michelle.

Best wishes, Daina

• mj
    mj Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi I've read your blog... you are a powerhouse of a woman

• Cook65
    Cook65 Member Posts: 733
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks MJ. I am known amongst my friend as a no nonsense, tell it like it is kinda girl. Oh don't get me wrong, I have my moments, days and sometimes weeks when I am nothing more than a puddle of tears. It is a testing time no matter who you are or what your personality type. I thank you very much for the compliment though
  • Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Welcome to the online network:) I put off seeing my doctor also,in the beginning.I think that by just ignoring it we perhaps think it will go away!!When I finally got up the courage to go to the doctor,I felt an ENORMOUS relief that I had shared my worry with someone.My husband was overseas when I went to my GP.Please just pick up the phone and make an appointment.This is the hardest part.There is a great chance that it might not even be Cancer.It could be something as simple amd common as fibrosistic disease of the breast.This can cause pain. If it turns out to be cancer,you need to know that most ladies( and we are talking thousands) are cured of BC these days in Australia.I was diagnosed one year ago.I was scared absolutely witless to begin with,but with the support of all the people along the way,I soon realised that it was nothing to be frightened of.We don't have a big circle of friends as some people do,but doctors,nurses,chemo ward staff,everyone was so willing to help.perhaps set yourself a day amd time to call the doctor,then just do it!!!Please stay on touch on here,and let us know how ypu get on.This network is the most amazing place,as you are about to find out.It is worth a thousand friends to me:):):):). Take care.Cheers xoxRobyn