What a Year

Karen_C
Karen_C Member Posts: 93
edited November 2016 in Community news and events

Given the time of year, I want to share some joy and much happiness.   I have been living with Secondary Breast Cancer for 8 years.  I am HER2 Positive and my body has been through the mill many times with bone and brain metastases.   This is my reality which I now embrace as part of me and consequently I enjoy every day and moment.   Sure I am now experiencing some long term problems such as nerve damage due to years of chemotherapy, radiotherapy and surgery but I am taking it in my stride.    My wonderful medical team have kept me going this long with a good quality of life.   

I have advanced cancer, however, incurable does not mean untreatable. With the development of HER2-targeted therapies I have treatment options which I believe has lengthened my life and given me quality of life.   Earlier this year I started on Kadcyla paying the first three doses as its not yet on the PBS.    Kadcyla belongs to a group of medicines known as anti-neoplastic (or anti-cancer) agent, designed to target and deliver the anti-cancer emtansine directly inside HER2-positive cancer cells to stop the growth and spread of the cancer.  Thus far this drug has done wonders for me.   I have never felt better!  My bone and brain metastases are in check.   I  really hope this drug becomes available on the PBS very soon so everyone can access it.

It’s bizarre, I have never felt better.   To such an extent that I planned a wonderful European holiday with my husband and close friends.  We spent time in Paris, went on a Mediterranean cruise and finished in Venice for a few days before coming home.   I would not have entertained the notion of travelling that far in 2013 and here we are 2014 having the time of our lives.   This was followed up by a fantastic surprise 60th Birthday party for my husband John and my Brother-in-Law Jon this weekend.    My husband still has a smile on his face.   

I have a book I refer to every day called Pausitivity and this verse pretty much sums up how I am feeling right now:-

“When you recover or discover something that nourishes your soul and brings joy, care enough about yourself to make room for it in your life.” Jean Shinoa Bolen

Here I am feeling great, looking forward to Christmas with my family and friends.   Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas for 2014.

Karen Cowley

BCNA Consumer Advocate

Secondary Breast Cancer Survivor

Lover of Life

Comments

• tannie53
    tannie53 Member Posts: 99
    edited March 2015

Thank you for sharing. You are amazing and I have have such admiration for you. I think it is good to hear stories such as yours so that it removes the fear factor for those of us who are not walking in your shoes. Glad you had such a wonderful holiday. Stay well and positive.

Tanya x

• tannie53
    tannie53 Member Posts: 99
    edited March 2015

Thank you for sharing. You are amazing and I have have such admiration for you. I think it is good to hear stories such as yours so that it removes the fear factor for those of us who are not walking in your shoes. Glad you had such a wonderful holiday. Stay well and positive.

Tanya x

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    What a wonderful ,positive post.I feel sure that your words will help many ladies on here.Thankyou and wishing you a very happy Christmas.Cheers xxx Robyn
  • Robyn W
    edited March 2015
    What a wonderful ,positive post.I feel sure that your words will help many ladies on here.Thankyou and wishing you a very happy Christmas.Cheers xxx Robyn
  • Robyn W
    edited March 2015
  • Robyn W
    edited March 2015
  • Sezzy
    Sezzy Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2015
    Thanks Karen for sharing, what an inspiration! Your post offers so much hope and comfort. Keep going strong !
  • Karen_C
    edited March 2015

Hi Tanya,

Thanks for your kind response.   Will do my best to stay well and I am glad you liked my post.

Merry Xmas to you and yours.

Karen

• Karen_C
    edited March 2015

Hi Robyn,

Thanks for your kind response and I hope my story resonates with some of our fellow sisters.

Wishing you and yours a very Merry Xmas.

Karen

• Rita1963
    Rita1963 Member Posts: 48
    edited March 2015

Thank you for sharing your story, It was just what I needed to hear.     Wishing you a joyous christmas. Rita x

• Laura Crowden
    Laura Crowden Member Posts: 109
    edited March 2015

Hi Karen,

Thanks so much for sharing this with us. Reading this reminds us exactly why BCNA is working so hard to get Kadcyla and other secondary breast cancer drugs listed on the PBS.

Merry Christmas,

Laura xox