Newly diagnosed at 34yo

Options
Tania80
Tania80 Member Posts: 5
edited October 2016 in Newly diagnosed
My story begins with a tiny density in my breast that had been there since I was 15. I had it checked every year and had been to the doctor in July, told I had fybrocystic breast change that was nothing to worry about. 2 months later I was back at the doctor with a very swollen breast, painful to touch. Told I had mastitis and given antibiotics for nearly a month until I insisted on a biopsy which showed an 8cm tumour and cancer in the adjacent lymph nodes. Started chemo a week later but I'm still struggling with the massive amount of information. I'm 34 and have 3 beautiful children. My period has already fizzled after one cycle. I am having it every 3 weeks for 4 cycles them moving to weekly with 3 weekly herceptin. Not looking forward to it one bit but it's a necessary evil. I've lost around 6 kgs with no sign of putting any back on.

I guess I'm just angry at the moment. Angry at the doctor for not being better at her job and getting a biopsy sooner. Angry that I have cancer. I excercised everyday, ate extremly healthy, don't smoke, don't drink. Angry that my children have to go through this, angry my husband has to do the work of both us while I fight this thing.

I'm positive I will be successful, but I'm still angry.

Comments

• jandy23
    jandy23 Member Posts: 234
    edited March 2015
    Options

You have every right to be.  That is so so unfair. Jeez life sucks soetimes! You sound like a strong determined and intelligent person and I'm sure the fact that you have been living such a healthy lifestyle will help you fight this thing. Keeping my fingers crossed for you. Very very best of luck to you Tania.

• Kimberley
    Kimberley Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2015
    Options

Yes I can understand and relate.  There is a lot of anger at all of it and a lot of pain and tears.  I was diagnosed in March this year on my 43rd birthday actually, with HER2, it had spread to the nodes lungs and bones.  It was 4cm flat tumour on the chest wall so I had no chance of finding it till it caused a lump under my arm with a bout of a 2 week flu.  I was furious moreso for my 6 year old son. This wasnt fair and it isnt.  No one should go through this especially a child.

I too was super healthy and you know what that mindset helped me with getting through the treatments and appointments.  I walked everyday whilst on chemo except the first and last treatments because I just couldnt.  Even if it was just 10mins I forced myself.  I ate well, no sugar, no dairy, no processed foods.  I researched all good cancer fighting foods and ate those.  I am doing veggie and fruit juices daily.

I got support and asked for help and accepted help.  I had family and friends visiting the house to keep my son occupied and support us. I had meals brought to me and the list goes on. I was now the number one priority and people were there to help.

My son had just started kindergarten when I was diagnosed very tough.  I told the school who then sent a discreet note to the kindy parents telling them what was happening and it was confidential.  My son doesnt know he is too young to understand. The mums rallied and sent meals delivered to the house twice a week for about 3 months or as long as I needed.  I never asked for help, fiercely independent but now you need it and its important for your recovery.

I have had surgery and finished radiation today actually.  It was a fight.  I had 6 rounds of chemo and the last round had a test and they said no more treatment you are stable but the chemo isnt reducing the cancer so no point with more chemo, no surgery, no radiation. I knew what that meant, they werent giving me long even with herceptin every 3 weeks.  I thought they were wrong, got a second and third opinion. Had surgery pathology showed no sign of cancer the chemo had worked.  I have been cleared of cancer on the lungs it isnt cancer. The bones are still in dispute but believe it was there somewhere but they say its gone. How amazing!

I have cried so much and felt so beaten down by all of it, felt like giving up. What made me fight was my son and your children will drive you to fight this and beat it anyway you can and you will because you already have the right mindset.

Cry when you need to, get angry, get scared all of it just talk to someone about it. It was a grieving process for me. People wont think to ask you, they dont always know what to say but keep talking and get that support. Surround yourself with positive people and leave those who arent, you dont need it. Pity is of no use.

Feel free to email me or message me if you need a chat during treatment.

All the best.

• louiseg
    louiseg Member Posts: 412
    edited March 2015
    Options

I had a fibroadenoma in my left breast and was told over and over that it was fine. Then one year when I was 35, I was told that I had BC.  It wasn't the adenoma but very close to it.  I was angry, sad, confused etc.  It's ok to have those feelings.  It's not fair! 

I hope you can manage the chemo over Christmas.  Never a great time to have any kind of treatment!  I found cheese and onion crisps and fruit tingles were my friend during chemo!  I couldn't taste anything else!!  Not healthy but you can worry about that after you have finished treatment.

Good luck with all of your treatment and give those kiddy winks lots of cuddles!

Louise x

• Tania80
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thank you xx
  • Tania80
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Wow. That's quite a journey. I'm so glad to hear it turned out positively. It's quite inspiring to hear from people that have come out the other side. I would love to know more about your diet. It's actually quite hard to find good information (especially when chemo makes it hard to concentrate). I want to eat as healthy as possible and give myself the best chance. Plus it's the one thing I feel I can control right now. Any info you have would be awesome.
  • Tania80
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Louise, I have heard the good old fruit tingles mentioned a few times now Xx 

• Tania80
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks Anna. I had a rather insensitive doctor tell me I was lucky that I had children since I would be going through menopause. Whilst I am very lucky We would have liked to add to our family so I can't imagine how it must feel to have that option taken away somewhat. Fingers crossed for the IVF. Definitely worth the trouble I think. I live in wArrnambool about 3 hours away, but next time I'm up that way a chat would be awesome. Good luck xx
  • mahonlaura02
    mahonlaura02 Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Tania

It is so hard to come to terms with what is happening.  I am 31 and ate healthly and exercised daily but it's just a random thing, it's not anyones fault that we have this.  I was convienced (the doctor also made it out to be nothing).  Thing was, I was 5 weeks pregnant on my second when I was diagnosed so it was thought it was hormones and change in breast because of the pregnancy.  My tumour was 10mm and I also had dcis.

I am very suprised that your doctor didnt send you for tests sooner, I was sent for a biopsy the day after I told my GP and had a fine needle biopsy 3 or so days after that.

It's very hard to destract our minds from it, just talk to someone about how you really feel and there are programs for kids whose parent has cancer so maybe that may help them more through it.

Best wishes X

Laura

• Kimberley
    edited March 2015
    Options

We all come out the other side its just the process can be hard to believe it will happen but believe the chemo is working it helps. Each night I would hold where the tumour was and imagine the chemo killing it .  Stay positive.

There is so much stuff on the internet and it can be a dangerous place to go at times. I had to be careful what I read as it brought me crashing down if I stumbled on something negative.  I am still careful what I look up,

OK on diet there are all sorts of miracle cures etc, I think I have read most of them. I will try and sum it up briefly. 

I tried to do an alkaline diet and tested my urine daily with an at home test (can send you more info on this if you are interested).

I ate cruciferous vegetables ie broccoli, cauliflower, cabbages, kale daily (ok kale I couldnt do during chemo - yuck). I did eat red meat during chemo as I was concerned about iron levels (I had them checked and tested during chemo and all were good) I didnt want chemo delayed or cancelled if they fell. Now I limit red meat to once a week.

No dairy at all, used nuttelex (butter substitute) and almond milk

Limited gluten just to reduce any further inflammation during chemo, I had a very sensitive gut during chemo.

Lots of fruit and veg (organic where possible or wash well)

I made my own museli which gave me energy (can send recipe if you like)

Limit sugar (theory is cancer feeds off sugar).  This was tricky as sometimes we just need a special treat especially during tough times so I would allow this once every 3 weeks. I now tend to make my own sweet treats.  Can send you more info on that too.

Drink lots of water, mineral water (with lemon or lime - alkalising), chamomile tea, green tea. Thats all I drank, no fruit juice or sugary drinks.

No coffee - I drink coffee now but will limit again.So tired from radiation.

I took supplements:

For Gut (keep flushing out toxins during chemo and dead cancer cells -theory):

slippery elm (important to keep the gut and digestive system somehow working during chemo). Keep your bowels regular important to keep the toxins moving and out. Was a bit yuck and hard to do all the time during chemo when feeling sick.

Inner health powder (again for gut)

Vitamin B

Vitamin C (I was sick a lot during chemo but this helped). Careful of dosage too much interacts with chemo.

After chemo to recover I am taking inner health, vitamin b, vitamin c, vitamin e, magnesium (for aches) and garlic.  Garlic is supposedly great for anti cancer and easy enough to take as a capsule.

I would take my vitamins into my oncologist for approval prior to taking as I didnt want anything interacting with the drugs and there are vitamins that can inhibit the drugs performance, so please check with your oncologist first.

I also had reflexology in the last week of a chemo cycle (so week before the next one was due). It helped my general aches and was relaxing.  Other theories on how it works but I just saw as a way to help move the chemo through the body and relax.  Had to steer clear of the liver spot on the foot.  I didnt have any other massage as I didnt want any more pressure on the lymphatic system during chemo.

I saw a couple of naturopaths and got a few tips.  I had a very sore mouth from the chemo and had a special solution made up from the naturopath which helped in the beginning. Mouth washes got the ok from my oncologist as long as I didnt swallow.

I didnt have the energy during chemo to make fresh juices but if you happen to have the energy good idea to do, or better yet get someone to do it for you.  I just have a basic juicer and make juices daily now with veggies and fruits. I can send you recipes on these as well. But basically its an easy way for your body to digest the nutrients especially during chemo. I make kale, carrot, apple, celery, ginger, turmeric, beetroot. 

Turmeric is an anti cancer spice which I try and include in juices or foods. I cant take it as a supplement as it interacts with tamoxifan which I am on (I also had estrogen and progesterone cancer 5%). Check with your oncologist.

I read a lot of books, can send you the list that I read.  In fact I have one I could post to you on chemo. Its called chemo:secrets to thriving. It was a bit light hearted and a few tips, not worth really buying but I could give it to you. If you can figure out how to send me your address privately I can post to you. I am new at this blog.

I also reduced chemicals in the house and on me. My moisturiser of choice was and still is coconut oil (but not during radiation). Cleaning I just use 1/2 white vinegar and 1/2 water in a spray bottle and use it for everything and some bicarb soda for scrubbing.

I liked this website: www.chrisbeatcancer.com.  I made his cancer fighting salad quite a bit, not so much during chemo too hard to swallow but before and more after.  Dont get too caught up in everything he preaches or says but there are some good tips.  Look at this stuff when you feel strong, it got to me sometimes.  But he talks about the acid/alkaline diet, no sugar, no processed etc.

You said you have lost weight already.  I did too.  I made an effort to eat up big when I could and felt like it so I had weight on me for the next round of chemo and enough weight to see me through to the end when it got harder to eat.  I ate lots of veggie soups for lunch and dinner, I dont eat soup now :). I ate beef and veg casseroles or chicken and veg casseroles.  I would treat myself to a meat and potato pie and a vanilla slice after each depressing visit to the oncologist. So worth it.

I did the diet and still do because for the same reason I felt like I could have some control over this and give my body the best chance to beat this and make sure the chemo worked. I wanted to prove them wrong for my son.

So if you want more info I can send it to you just let me know.  Just keep eating simple eat food in its raw state I guess and plenty of it.  Wash it down with lots of water.

• mahonlaura02
    mahonlaura02 Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Kimberley

Would u mind sharing some recipes including juices with me any any other links that helped you?  I want to remain as healthy as possible, I have already started using as much organic stuff as I can and dont eat much red meat anymore, mostly eat fish or poultry. 

Thanks

Laura

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Guys, I really appreciate the tips about what to eat during chemo. I was diagnosed in late october and had a lumpectomy followed by a left mastectomy about 3 weeks ago. I am back at work full time and waiting for my seroma to clear to start chemotherapy. It's a difficult time.I've been making my own juices and trying to walk every day. I'm going to try cold caps in my chemo, so fingers crossed. I'm am thinking about avoiding tamoxifen because of the side effects. Is this a bad idea? My cousin said it almost ruined her marriage and made her very depressed and she's off it after 1 year.

• [Deleted User]
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Guys, I really appreciate the tips about what to eat during chemo. I was diagnosed in late october and had a lumpectomy followed by a left mastectomy about 3 weeks ago. I am back at work full time and waiting for my seroma to clear to start chemotherapy. It's a difficult time.I've been making my own juices and trying to walk every day. I'm going to try cold caps in my chemo, so fingers crossed. I'm am thinking about avoiding tamoxifen because of the side effects. Is this a bad idea? My cousin said it almost ruined her marriage and made her very depressed and she's off it after 1 year.

• Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Lucy
    We are all different with what side effects we experience from the various treatments. I have had a mastectomy, chemo, radiotherapy and have been on tamoxifen for just over 12 months. I have found that looking after my health with healthy food and lots of regular exercise seems to keep any side effects of tamoxifen very minor. I get the occasional hot flush, have a few more aches and pains but nothing that would make me think about stopping it.

Depending on your situation tamoxifen can make a BIG difference to your chance of staying cancer-free. Without tamoxifen people with a similar pathology to me have about a 50% chance of recurrence. So every second person like me would probably have the cancer return. Taking tamoxifen reduces my chance of recurrence to only 19%. I am therefore very grateful to have this very effective and proven drug to take. We are all different so I have learnt to keep an open mind when I hear about another person's experience. Listen to your doctors because they know your particular situation and can explain the benefits or risks of each treatment for you. This network is great because you hear about how lots of women cope with the various treatments. It is such a shame that there are so many of us!

Wishing you well with your treatment. Take care. Deanne xxx
  • [Deleted User]
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply Deanne. I just think there's so much information out there that it takes a while to process it and make the right decisions. I appreciate the information about tamoxifen and your experience of using it. There's a lot of negative information about it on the internet. Best of luck with everything. Ideally we would have to go through all of these treatments, but I guess they are there for a purpose.

Lucy

• Kimberley
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I too am taking tamoxifen for just a 5 percent estrogen cancer (i am her2 positive) and I am going through the flushes but they are getting better after just 4 months taking it. I am also on herceptin, pertuzamab and xgeva, so a lot going through my system. Yes the flushes have been full on at times but everyone is different. I haven't considered not taking it and I am on it for life. So I think give it a go and see how it goes for you.