New diagnosis DCIS

Tan14Tan14 Member Posts: 25
edited October 2016 in Newly diagnosed

Hi Am new to all this just been diagnosed with DCIS, thinking it was not cancer or a pre cancer, but the surgeon recomends radiation therapy or a masectomy. He mentioned that may or may not turn into invasive cancer. A bit confused how to think about it all. HAve read information on DCIS and the information says the same it can turn into invasive or may not, I suppose its the odds. Thinking of masectomy due to family history o breast cancer and ovarian cancer. Any similar experiencesof confusion? decision making? I have three children under 6 hmm need to be around longer.  

Tagged:

Comments

  • Summerhill38Summerhill38 Regional Vic Member Posts: 554
    edited March 2015

    Like you I was diagnosed with DCIS.  63% of the breast involved and high grade which apparently means it can quickly change to being real bad.  Largest bit was 43mm.

    My local GP says it is not cancer, the surgeon says the opposite - so, who knows, simply a technicality.

    I was given no choices - mastectomy was the only option.  I have read so much more since then and I think it was the best option, though.

    If you don't think you are desperate to keep it go for broke and let the breast go - no good having to go back for further surgery later.

    Listen to your surgeon and oncologist and if you tust them then go by their advice.

    Radiation means time away from those precious children, physically and mentally as you have to be number one during that treatment phase.

    With the family history I think mastectomy is the better option - but I do not know you nor do I know your diagnosis.

    Be in touch with more questions if you need to as I am here today.

    Summer  :-)

  • Tan14Tan14 Member Posts: 25
    edited March 2015

    Hi Summer than you for your reply, am feeling a sense of confucion however becoming clearer. I will definitelt have a double masectomy, I keep looking at mylittle girls whos 3 and jst think my boobs are nt worth keeping, Im not attached to my boobs, that may sound strange. I have DCIS 26mm and some duct issue , with the family history having the worry the second breast will develop DCIS its too much of a worry. I just spoke to the breast nurse at the surgeons and she also has made my decision clearer. Thank you for shariing and your reply and glad all is well for you as this experience is stressful. but will get better on apositive note.

    Tania x 

  • Tan14Tan14 Member Posts: 25
    edited March 2015

    Hi louise

    Thany you for your reply, I keep looking at my 3 children under 6 and think that my breasts are not worth it, I spoke to the breast nurse and its help me to definitely op for a double masectomy and then think about reconstruction, implants concern me, however , she reassures me that they are safe. My gut from the beginning was to have them both off, but the surgeon still requested I go away and think, which has been good as I m more informed and less confused.

    Your right DCIS is a warning sign and I have to acknowledge it, considering my family history. Thats great everything worked out for you .

     

    Thanks

    Tania x 

  • Summerhill38Summerhill38 Regional Vic Member Posts: 554
    edited March 2015

    I am so glad to hear that you are getting good information to help with your decision.  In the end it is up to you and your medical team.  As 63% of my breast was affected I could not go for a lumpectomy anyway.

    I was not offered a double mastectomy but that seems a good idea given your family history and the uncertainty re whether it does change to be cancer or appear in the other breast.

    The Cancer Prevention Institute of California website has a lot of good clear information on DCIS - www.dcis.info/treatment-options.html.

    Good luck and keep in touch.

    Summer  :-)

Sign In or Register to comment.