Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Dealing with secondary TNBC

JLips
JLips Member Posts: 6
edited September 2016 in Metastatic breast cancer

Hi there

My name is Jenny. I'm 36 and have just been diagnosed with secondary TNBC in my lungs. I was originally diagnosed with breast cancer early August and have just completed 3 rounds of TC to find out that recent scans show some nodes on my lungs have grown - aka secondary cancer. Something no one, including my medical team, expected. I am now about to start EC to see if we can find a chemo which will reduce the tumours. My doctor has several others up his sleeves too.

Thankfully (if I can say that) it's low-volume disease and the plan is to get me through the next few years but it sounds like I'll be lucky to make it to 40. Typically I'm a very glass half-full type of person and always look for the optimistic side of things but the hard part is that you don't hear many long-term survivor stories for TNBC and magic wand aside, it's a hope we really need. My husband is obviously devastated and whilst my 3yo daughter is blissfully unaware, I know that a future we didn't predict for her will unfold.

Any words of advice, encouragement, hope, any other secondary TNBC survivors out there would be greatfully appreciated.

I'm trying to get on with living with cancer but the news is still so raw.

Thanks so much, 

Jenny

Comments

• Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    edited March 2015

I am so sorry you are having to go through this - big cyber hug.

I am also TNBC, and would like to send you a link to an international website, to the long term survivors page.  Here are women - some with secondaries - who are 11 years out and still going strong.  It is encouraging to read their comments and I think we need all the positive information we can get.

The link is https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/72/topic/815872.

Stay in touch and let us know your program.  There is so much research going into TNBC now. It gets better every year.  Just take one day at a time, Jenny.  We are all here for you.   xxx  Michelle

• Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    edited March 2015

I am so sorry you are having to go through this - big cyber hug.

I am also TNBC, and would like to send you a link to an international website, to the long term survivors page.  Here are women - some with secondaries - who are 11 years out and still going strong.  It is encouraging to read their comments and I think we need all the positive information we can get.

The link is https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/72/topic/815872.

Stay in touch and let us know your program.  There is so much research going into TNBC now. It gets better every year.  Just take one day at a time, Jenny.  We are all here for you.   xxx  Michelle

• JLips
    JLips Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2015

Thanks Michelle. I'll keep you all posted on how things progress. And thanks for the link. Will take a look.

Jenny

• ashelvo
    ashelvo Member Posts: 10
    edited March 2015
    Hi Jenny just read ur post. I haven't been on for a while but after the discovery of cancer in the lymph glands of my collar bone, sternum and most likely right lung I thought I'd see how others have coped. I was diagnosed with TNBC just over 12 months ago. Had chemo, right mastectomy and 24 lymph nodes removed plus radiotherapy. Obviously wasn't enough to kill the bugger though. My prognosis is 2-3 yrs if chemo can work its magic. I'm a glass is half full kind of person too so it's refreshing to read these sorts of posts. Thanks for sharing your story. How has ur treatment been of late?
    Warm regards
    Anne xx
  • Gert
    Gert Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2015
    Hi girls ,I have just received the news my TNBC has returned in my spine. Was first diagnosed in May 2013 had four rounds of A&C and 12 rounds of Taxol followed by 25 rads finishing in March 2014. Had some pain in my shoulder so checkup brought forward . Mammogram and ultrasound clear thought I was ok but scan showed up t12 . Am having a hard time getting my head around it have yet to see oncologist for treatment options, would like any help with dealing with this.