Travel Insurance

Josie13
Josie13 Member Posts: 79
edited April 2011 in General discussion

Hi everyone

I'm going to europe in June, thought I'd better use up some long service leave! I'm wondering if anyone has any advice/experience with travel insurance. I know bcna can't reccommend companies. Also whats the story about taking all of ones medication especially pain relief such as ms contin as I will have to take a lot with me. Do you have to declare it at customs I'm wondering?

It's helpful to have something to look forward to as feeling really excited about it. We are leaving our teenagers at home so will be interested to see how that goes....no nice dinner on cold winter nights and clean clothes in your wardrobe.Could be  a bit of a wakeup call!

Health wise feeling ok but I think the mental anguish is actually the rough bit so keep really busy as I fnd this helps. Today I am going for a long walk (trying to get fitter for trip) doing heaps of assessments/correction, parent teacher for daughter, go to medicare and food shopping so that should do it I think....no time for bad thoughts in there!!!

Comments

• KymB
    KymB Member Posts: 93
    edited March 2015

Hi Josie13 .... How exciting to have a trip to Europe to look forward to!

BCNA have a series of Fact Sheets which may be of interest to you.  Try clicking on the link below:

http://www.bcna.org.au/fact-sheets#travel

There is a BCNA travel insurance fact sheet for those diagnosed with Early Breast Cancer and one for those diagnosed with secondary Breast Cancer.  In regard to carrying / declaring your medications I would suggest having a chat with your doctor about that.  They may be able to give you a letter to carry with you or advice on what to do.

Have a great time!!

Cheers

Kym

• KymB
    KymB Member Posts: 93
    edited March 2015

Hi Josie13 .... How exciting to have a trip to Europe to look forward to!

BCNA have a series of Fact Sheets which may be of interest to you.  Try clicking on the link below:

http://www.bcna.org.au/fact-sheets#travel

There is a BCNA travel insurance fact sheet for those diagnosed with Early Breast Cancer and one for those diagnosed with secondary Breast Cancer.  In regard to carrying / declaring your medications I would suggest having a chat with your doctor about that.  They may be able to give you a letter to carry with you or advice on what to do.

Have a great time!!

Cheers

Kym

• Annie Gayed
    Annie Gayed Member Posts: 204
    edited March 2015

Hi Josie,

This is slightly off topic, but if you have a breast prosthesis, you may like to visit the below BCNA page, which contains a travel tip for women travelling with breast prosthesis.

http://www.bcna.org.au/new-diagnosis/treatment/breast-prostheses

Enjoy Europe in summer! :)

• Josie13
    edited March 2015

I always approach insurance with caution. Just look at what the flood victims have gone through and travel insurance is just as  dodgy. I have found out it is important to declare your situation to the insurance company as some require medical certificates you are fit to travel. They will then cover you for non related illness or accident and lost luggage etc. I read a profile on this site about a woman who took them to court and so now they are not allowed to discriminate-excellent! I travelled whilst on tamoxifen and yes, it's important to wear the flight socks (which I would wear anyway) and take asprin to avoid dvt. Just another hassle with tamoxifen which I think is the worst drug I have ever taken (worse than chemo as it goes on longer) with long lasting side effects.

• Josie13
    edited March 2015

I always approach insurance with caution. Just look at what the flood victims have gone through and travel insurance is just as  dodgy. I have found out it is important to declare your situation to the insurance company as some require medical certificates you are fit to travel. They will then cover you for non related illness or accident and lost luggage etc. I read a profile on this site about a woman who took them to court and so now they are not allowed to discriminate-excellent! I travelled whilst on tamoxifen and yes, it's important to wear the flight socks (which I would wear anyway) and take asprin to avoid dvt. Just another hassle with tamoxifen which I think is the worst drug I have ever taken (worse than chemo as it goes on longer) with long lasting side effects.